Deelip.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

T-FLEX Parametric CAD

Apparently, there a Russian company called Top Systems which develops and sells a full blown 3D Parametric CAD and 2D Drafting system, including CAM, motion simulation, FEA and an SQL based PDM system. And I never heard about them till yesterday. I don't believe I have been living under a stone these past few years, but things like these give me a feeling that I have.

They call their product "T-FLEX Parametric CAD" and it has been around for quite a while. They are going to release version 11 soon. A Google search for "T-FLEX" didn't yield much. TenLinks has just three press releases from them, the last one being more than six months old. A search for "T-FLEX" in Ralph Grabowski's blog shows just one entry, and that too as a comment made by Evan Yares two years ago. And to top it off, the address listed at their web site is a PO Box address. I know some companies want to keep a low profile. But these guys seem to be taking it to the extreme.

According to their web site, "Current and potential customers most generally compare the features of T-FLEX against the features of SolidWorks, Inventor, Solid Edge, UGS NX, Catia, Pro/ENGINEER." T-FLEX is built using the Parasolid kernel licensed from UGS (now Siemens). So their software should be a pretty powerful modeler at a minimum.

I was enlightened about their existence by their Indian distributor who wanted to know whether I was interested in reselling T-FLEX in my area. I already have a tough time selling my own software. I'm not sure I want to try selling someone else's, especially when it costs about $4500 a license and when I haven't noticed it in all these years.

4 Comments:

  • Will you be doing a review on this product any time soon?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:10 AM, December 14, 2007  

  • Sorry, I don't believe I have the time for that now. If I was making a living reviewing (instead of writing) software, it may have been a different story.

    By Blogger Deelip Menezes, At 8:59 AM, December 14, 2007  

  • i´ve seen this at the german fair trade HMI and it seems to be very powerful, especially the motion simulation was impressive. the GUI is not very sexy but OK for the license costs. i don´t know the prices in USA but i think, in germany it´s half of the price of SWX or other well known systems.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 3:01 PM, December 14, 2007  

  • It is strange that a "CEO" - "Senior CAD software programmer" as you define yourself is bad informed not only about what happening in MCAD software world, but also about the history of this segment. For your information, T-Flex CAD has been the first Windows based parametric CAD softwaere in the world. It is enough to consult Wikipedia to discover it. The only, obvius reason why this beautiful software was not very known until few years ago outiside Russian, it was that it had a Cyrillic interface, and - since it was used for many aerospatial and even military applications, it was not possible to export it until the fall of USSR. Keep yourself better informed, to save your reputation of CAD professional in the future.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:10 PM, November 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home